Community

Elkridge History

 Elkridge, located in the eastern most tip of Howard County was established in 1734 and is the oldest settlement in the county. Elk Ridge Landing referred to the shipping docks along the Patapsco River, which was navigable into the 1800’s.

Its legacy began as a port for shipping iron ore and tobacco. Elkridge Landing was considered a major port on the East Coast, even larger than Baltimore.

Caleb Dorsey was the owner of Elk Ridge Furnace, which is now called The Elkridge Furnace Inn. Dorsey helped to establish the port of Elk Ridge in order to ship his products, mainly ore, to England.

The infamous Thomas Viaduct was built in 1832. It was the first train bridge ever to be built on a curve. The Underground Railroad made use of the Viaduct for shelter in the years before the Civil War. It became a defense post for the Union during the Civil War. Eight elliptical arches measuring approximately 58 feet supported the 60-foot high structure. The arches were high and wide enough for floodwaters to rush through without destroying the bridge. The viaduct was completed in two years and names for the first president of the B & O Railroad, Philip Thomas.

The great falls at the Viaduct stopped the passage of ships beyond this point. As the population grew along the river and its tributaries, farms, houses and communities were

built—the river began to silt. The river’s silt combined with the decline of iron and tobacco shipping, finally closed the port. Elk Ridge Landing became simply ~ Elkridge.

The face of Elkridge began a gradual change from that of a shipping community to a summer retreat for Baltimore’s prominent residents.

 Elkridge is rich in history, and has a very active Elkridge Heritage Society. To learn more about the history of other landmarks such as The Brumbaugh House and Belmont please visit: The Elkridge Heritage Society:

5825 Main Street
Elkridge, Maryland 21075
(410) 796-3282

Interesting historical and general-area information can be found at the following websites